You are here
CARROLLTON, Texas – RJ Manke had one of the day’s few below-par scores to help the Pepperdine men’s golf team into third place at the conclusion of Sunday’s first round at the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational.
The Waves shot an opening-round 302 at the par-72 Maridoe Golf Club and are three shots back of the leader, Baylor.
The Big-12 heavy tournament includes the top four teams in the national rankings when last season ended in March: Pepperdine, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas.
Second-round action was set to get underway at 8 a.m. today.
- Senior RJ Manke (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School) shot a 1-under 71, putting him into a tie for third place, and was one of just five players to shoot below-par. He birdied hole #2 and then had seven straight pars to be 1-under at the turn. After a couple of bogeys, he birdied 14 and 16 to get back to 1-under.
- Playing as an individual, junior Joe Highsmith (Lakewood, Wash./Bellarmine Preparatory School) was even-par after 17 holes but did not finish before darkness set in. He’s currently in sixth place. His round included two birdies and an eagle on the par-5 16th.
- Sophomore William Mouw (Chino/Ontario Christian High School) is tied for 10th after a 74. Three of his four birdies came on the front nine.
- Junior Derek Hitchner (Minneapolis, Minn./The Blake School) is tied for 33rd after a 78.
- Sophomore Dylan Menante (Carlsbad/Sage Creek High School) is tied for 41st after a 79.
- Senior Joshua McCarthy (Danville/De La Salle High School) is 52nd after an 80. He had two birdies today.
- Playing as an individual, freshman Caden Fioroni (San Diego/Torrey Pines High School) also did not finish before dark. He’s 11-over and tied for 64th with one hole to go. He’s posted one birdie.
- Playing as an individual, senior Clay Feagler (Laguna Niguel/Dana Hills High School) is 72nd after an 85. He had two birdies.
Team Scores: 1. Baylor 299; 2. North Texas 300; 3. Pepperdine 302; 4. Texas 303; 5. Oklahoma State 304; 6. Kansas 306; 7. Texas Tech 310; 8. Oklahoma 311; 9. Iowa State 313; 10. East Tennessee State 317; 11. TCU 320; 12. Coastal Carolina 321.
Top Individuals: 1. Luke Kluver (Kansas) 68; 2. Markus Braadlie (Texas Tech) 70; T3. RJ Manke (Pepperdine) 71; T3. Vicente Marzilio (North Texas) 71; T3. Cole Hammer (Texas) 71.
— Roger C. Horne